Sat, Mar 26|
Charleston, South Carolina
8 miles with 80 lbs
Time & Location
Mar 26, 2022, 8:00 AM – 2:00 PM EDT
Charleston, South Carolina, 999 Buckhall Landing Rd, McClellanville, SC 29458, USA
About the Event
Distance: 8 +/- miles
Event Start Time: Sat 26 March 22 at 0800hrs (Please do not arrive before 0730hrs)
FUP (Forming Up Point) Location: Buck Hall Recreation Area, SC
Event Finish Time: No Later Than 26 March 22 at 1400hrs
Finish Location: Buck Hall Recreation Area, SC
Operation YOMP is close to the famous Cape Romain National Wildlife Refuge in South Carolina. Operation YOMP is based on true events during the 1982 Falklands War. After disembarking from ships at San Carlos on East Falkland, on the 21st of May 1982, Royal Marines and members of the Parachute Regiment yomped (or “rucked” in American) with their equipment across the islands, covering 56 miles (90 km) in three days carrying 36kg (80 lbs) loads.
Operation YOMP is a test of endurance, fitness, and mental strength.
Candidates must complete the 8+/- mile route in under 5 hours (1.6 miles per hour) to PASS and under 2.5 hours (3.2 miles per hour) to earn the GBF Operation YOMP Dog Tag.
Candidates will meet at Buck Hall Recreation Area. At 0800hrs, GBF Staff will give an event brief before checking candidates maps and kit. Candidates are advised to carry paper maps (waterproofed), in addition to their smartphone, for navigation. Each candidate must carry 80 lbs plus any water and food. Once GBF Staff are happy with all the candidate's kit, they will be released to begin the route.
Candidates will be able to get water at the turnaround point on the southern tip of 25 Mile Road (HERE).
The first 20 candidates who sign up will receive a free GBF Operation YOMP t-shirt. Candidates finishing in under 2.5 hours will receive the highly sought-after 'GBF Operation YOMP’ dog tags.
- Mapping. You can navigate this route easily from the AllTrails app on your Smartphone. GBF suggests candidates have a paper map, compass, and GPS for redundancy. To download the route from AllTrails, you will need to sign up for a membership.
- Route. Operation YOMP. This route is flat but can be wet and muddy underfoot.
- Dress. Candidates' dress will be a personal choice but they are reminded this is a rural event with little provision for support on the trail. Wet weather gear is advised in case of inclement weather conditions.
This list is mandatory:
- Backpack (waterproof inner-bags)
- Phone charger
- Head Torch (spare batteries)
- Hydration bladder(s)
- Pocket knife
- Emergency rations (see below)
- Emergency shelter
- Personal First Aid Kit
This list is recommended:
- Maps (waterproofed)
- Blister kit
- Replen. There will be a water replenishment for candidates at the turnaround point and finish. Beer, bananas and water will be available at the end.
- Rations. Candidates must have a minimum of 2 x chocolate bars as emergency rations. It is the candidates' own decision if they wish to take extra food with them.
- Water. Candidates must carry a minimum of 3 litres of water at the start in addition to the 80 lbs. The use of hydration bladders is encouraged.
- Medical. A personal medical kit is required by every candidate. GBF Staff must be made aware of any medical conditions prior to starting the event. If any GBF staff deems a candidate is medically unfit to continue, they may be withdrawn from the event for their own safety.
- Transport. Transport to and from the event will be at candidates own arrangement.
Command and Signal
GBF HQ - 9419939432
Weight - candidate’s backpacks must weigh 80 lbs without water and food. Candidates are invited to complete this event with a backpack under 80 lbs but they will not be eligible for a GBF Dog Tag.
Numbers - Maximum number of candidates 50. Minimum number of candidates 10.
Cost - $85
Refunds - Refunds will be in the form of a GBF voucher for future events. Refunds within 30 days of an event will not be possible.
T-Shirts - Orders for t-shirts will be placed on 11 March 22. Any tickets booked after this date will NOT receive a t-shirt for this event.
Operation YOMP$85.00Tax: +$5.95 Tax