Operation STIRLING (UKSF Selection)
Time & Location
About the Event
This event is the closest replica to Tier 1 Special Forces aptitude in the USA.
Event Start Time: Monday 29 AUG 2022 0830hrs
Start Location: Pisgah National Forest
Event Finish Time: Saturday 3 SEP 2022
Finish Location: Pisgah National Forest
The British Special Air Service (SAS) became the first ‘Tier 1’ Special Forces unit in the World and other countries soon took notice with the USA’s 1st SFOD-D (Delta Force) being modelled on the British SAS. The Aptitude phase of United Kingdom Special Forces (UKSF) Selection, is at the beginning of selection and sets the standard for recruits.
Green Beret Fitness is recreating UKSF Aptitude Phase in August 2022 over a 5 day period. This event, named Operation STIRLING, is the first of its kind in the USA. We are looking for individuals who are intelligent, highly motivated, and fit.
Candidates must complete 5 route marches over 5 days. The distances will increase, and the weight will increase.
- Day 1: 10 +/- miles. 25 lbs. Time Limit.
- Day 2: 11 +/- miles. 30 lbs. Time Limit.
- Day 3: 12 +/- miles. 35 lbs. Time Limit.
- Day 4: 16 +/- miles. 40 lbs. Time Limit.
- Day 5 (Test Route): 26 +/- miles. 50 lbs. Time Limit and partly at night.
Operation STIRLING consists of 5 routes in 5 days and candidates must complete each route, within time, to continue to the final day. Only candidates who have passed Days 1-4 will progress to the final day.
There will be checkpoints on the routes and at the end of each route candidates will be informed if they have passed/failed. Candidates who have passed will be free to go back to their accommodation. Candidates who have not passed will be informed of their time and invited to return next year.
Test Route will be a 26+/- mile route with 50lbs, some of it at night. At the end of the Test Route, candidates will be informed if they have passed or failed. There will be food and drink on offer for all Test Route candidates, regardless of pass/fail.
The Winner of Test Route will earn a personalised GOLD GBF Dog Tag and Operation STIRLING patch. Everyone else finishing within the time limit will recieve a personalised GBF Dog Tag and Operation STIRLING patch.
Note: Age and Gender will not play a part in this event. There will be one standard for all.
- Accommodation. Candidates will be required to book their own accommodation, we suggest looking in/near the towns of Brevard or Waynesville in North Carolina.
- Mon 29 Aug 22 - 10 +/- miles
- Tue 30 Aug 22 - 11 +/- miles
- Wed 31 Aug 22 - 12 +/- miles
- Thur 1 Sep 22 - 16 +/- miles
- Fri 2 Sep 22 - 26 +/- miles Test Route (finishes late Friday / early Saturday)
- Routes. GBF advises candidates to have a compass, GPS, and paper maps as well as a smartphone. Maps will be emailed out to candidates in early August 2022. These routes only require basic navigation.
- AllTrails. The AllTrails website will host the routes for Operation STIRLING. If you have a subscription, you can download the routes for use offline.
- Navigation. The navigation for Op STIRLING is not too difficult but GBF strongly suggests getting to know the routes before the event.
- Dress. Candidates are reminded that this part of the country, at this time of year, can have very changeable weather. Wet weather gear is advised in case of inclement weather conditions.
This list is mandatory:
- Backpack (waterproof inner-bags)
- Phone charger
- Pocket knife
- Spare socks x 2
- Head Torch (spare batteries)
- Hydration bladder(s)
- Emergency rations (see below)
- Emergency shelter
- Personal First Aid Kit
This list is strongly recommended:
- Replen. There will be an opportunity for candidates to replenish water along some routes. There will be water at the end of all the routes.
- Rations. Candidates must have a minimum of 2 x chocolate bars (or similar) as emergency rations.
- Water. Candidates must carry a minimum of 1 gallon of water. The use of hydration bladders is encouraged.
- Medical. Candidates should arrive fully fit and without injury. GBF Staff must be made aware of any medical conditions prior to starting the event. If any GBF staff deems a candidate is medically unfit to continue, they may be withdrawn from the event for their own safety.
- Transport. Transport to each day's route will be at candidates own arrangement.
Command and Signal
GBF HQ - 9419939432
Weight - candidate’s backpacks must weigh the required amount, without water. Each day will require a different weight.
Day 1: 25 lbs
Day 2: 30 lbs
Day 3: 35 lbs
Day 4: 40 lbs
Day 5 (Test Route): 50 lbs
Training Weekends - GBF is running training weekends prior to Operation STIRLING on the same routes, but with lower weights. Candidates for Operation STIRLING are encouraged to attend to test their fitness and learn the routes.
14 May 22 - Operation BUCKWHEAT - 12 miles
15 May 22 - Operation PILGRIM - 11 miles
11 Jun 22 - Operation FAN DANCE - 16 miles
12 Jun 22 - Operation SCOUT - 10 miles
16 Jul 22 - Operation DRAGONS DANCE - 26 miles
Cost - $390 until July 2021. $450 after July 2021.
Maximum Numbers - There is a maximum of 30 candidates allowed on Operation STIRLING.
Refunds - Refunds will be in the form of a GBF voucher for future events. Refunds within 30 days of an event will not be possible.
- Operation STERLING$450+$31.50 Tax$450+$31.50 Tax0$0