Thu, Oct 10|
Pisgah National Forest, NC
Operation STIRLING (Special Forces Selection)
The most realistic Special Forces Selection in the World.
Time & Location
Oct 10, 2024, 8:00 AM – Oct 14, 2024, 5:00 PM
Pisgah National Forest, NC, Brevard, NC, USA
About the Event
Operation STIRLING: The most realistic Special Forces Selection in the World.
Distance: Over 75 miles in 5 days
Brief Start Time: Thursday 10th October 2024 at 0730 hrs
Event Start Time: Thursday 10th October 2024 at 0800 hrs
Start Location: Art Loeb/Cold Mountain Trailhead, NC
Event Finish Time: Monday 14th October 2024 at 1900 hrs
The British Special Air Service (SAS) became the first ‘Tier 1’ Special Forces unit in the World and other countries soon took notice with the USA’s 1st SFOD-D (Delta Force) being modelled on the British SAS. The Aptitude phase of United Kingdom Special Forces (UKSF) Selection, commonly called ‘Hills phase,’ is at the beginning of selection and sets the standard for recruits.
Green Beret Fitness (GBF) is recreating the UKSF Aptitude Phase in October 2024 over a 5 day period. This event, Operation STIRLING, is the first of its kind in the USA.
We are looking for individuals who are intelligent, highly motivated, and fit who will not quit under pressure.
Candidates must complete 5 route marches over 5 days.
- Day 1: 10 +/- miles. 25 lbs. Time Limit.
- Day 2: 11 +/- miles. 30 lbs. Time Limit.
- Day 3: 12 +/- miles. 35 lbs. Time Limit.
- Day 4: 14 +/- miles. 40 lbs. Time Limit.
- Day 5 (Test Route): 24 +/- miles. 50 lbs. Time Limit and partly at night.
Operation STIRLING consists of 5 routes in 5 days and candidates must complete each route, within time, to continue to the final day. Candidates will complete the first four days before they are told if they have passed or failed.
Only candidates who have passed Days 1-4 will progress to the final day.
Day 5 - Test Route - will be a 26 +/- mile route with 50lbs, at night. At the end of the Test Route, candidates will be informed if they have passed or failed.
- Mapping. You can navigate this route easily from the AllTrails app on your Smartphone. GBF suggests candidates have a paper map, compass, and GPS for redundancy. To download the routes from AllTrails, you will need to sign up for a membership.
- Route. Ensure you download the routes for offline use.
- Dress. Candidates' dress will be a personal choice but they are reminded this is a self-supported, rural event with little provision for support. Wet weather gear is advised in case of inclement weather conditions.
This list is mandatory. Note that hiking poles, weapon sling and any music device is NOT permitted.
- Backpack (waterproof inner-bags)
- Replica Rifle (issued by GBF)
- Phone (fully charged)
- Phone charger
- Head Torch (spare batteries)
- Hydration bladder(s)
- Emergency rations (see below)
- Emergency shelter
- Personal First Aid Kit
This list is optional:
- Rations. Candidates should have a minimum of 3 x energy bars and 0.5 litres of water as emergency rations.
- Water. There will be bottled water at the start / finish point. Candidates should carry enough water to last the route, +3 miles, in case they get lost.
- Medical. A personal medical kit is required by every candidate. GBF Staff must be made aware of any medical conditions prior to starting the event.
If any GBF staff deems a candidate is medically unfit to continue, they may be withdrawn from the event for their own safety.
- Transport. Transport to and from the event will be at candidates own arrangement.
Command and Signal
GBF HQ - info@GreenBeretFitness.com
Weight - candidate’s backpacks must weigh the required amount, without water. Each day will require a different weight.
Day 1: 25 lbs
Day 2: 30 lbs
Day 3: 35 lbs
Day 4: 40 lbs
Day 5 (Test Route): 50 lbs
Cost - $450
Maximum Numbers - There is a maximum of 20 candidates allowed on Operation STIRLING.
Refunds - Refunds will be in the form of a GBF voucher for future events. Refunds within 30 days of an event will not be possible.