Sun, Jun 04|
Pisgah National Forest, NC
20 lbs. 10 +/- miles. 6 hours.
Time & Location
Jun 04, 8:30 AM
Pisgah National Forest, NC, 3647 Little East Fork Rd, Canton, NC 28716, USA
About the Event
Distance: 10 +/- miles
Event Start Time: Sun 4 Jun 23 at 0830hrs
FUP (Forming Up Point) Location: Art Loeb/Cold Mountain Trailhead, NC
Event Finish Time: No Later Than Sun 4 Jun 23 at 1600hrs
Finish Location: Art Loeb/Cold Mountain Trailhead, NC
Operation STIRLING Series
This route is Route One (1) in Operation STIRLING.
The Area of Operations (AO) for Operation SCOUT is the Pisgah National Forest in North Carolina. Comprising over 500,000 acres, the Pisgah National Forest is a land of high peaks, cascading waterfalls, heavily forested slopes, and hundreds of miles of trails.
Candidates will have 6 hours to complete the 10 +/- mile course. Operation SCOUT is a test of endurance, fitness, and mental strength.
Candidates must complete the 10 +/- mile route in under 6 hours to PASS and under 4.5 hours to earn the GBF Op SCOUT Dog Tag.
Candidates will meet at the Art Loeb/Cold Mountain Trailhead. At 0830hrs, GBF Staff will give an event brief before checking candidates maps and kit. Candidates are advised to carry paper maps (waterproofed), in addition to their smartphone, for navigation. Each candidate must carry 20 lbs plus water and food. Once GBF Staff are happy with the candidate's kit, they will be released to begin the route.
Candidates should be self-sufficient for the entire route.
Candidates finishing in under 4.5 hours will receive the highly sought-after 'GBF Operation SCOUT’ dog tags.
- Mapping. You can navigate this route easily from the AllTrails app on your Smartphone. GBF suggests candidates have a paper map, compass, and GPS for redundancy. To download the route from AllTrails, you will need to sign up for a membership.
- Route. Operation SCOUT
- Dress. Candidates' dress will be a personal choice but they are reminded this is a self-supported, rural event with little provision for support. Wet weather gear is advised in case of inclement weather conditions.
This list is mandatory:
- Backpack (waterproof inner-bags)
- Phone charger
- Head Torch (spare batteries)
- Hydration bladder(s)
- Pocket knife
- Emergency rations (see below)
- Emergency shelter
- Personal First Aid Kit
This list is recommended:
- Maps (waterproofed)
- Blister kit
- Replen. There will be no food or water replenishments for candidates along the route. Candidates should carry enough food and water to last the duration of the 10 +/- miles.
- Rations. Candidates must have a minimum of 2 x high energy bars as emergency rations. It is the candidates' own decision if they wish to take extra food with them.
- Water. Candidates must carry a minimum of 3 litres of water and be self-sustained for the whole route. The use of hydration bladders is encouraged.
- Medical. A personal medical kit is required by every candidate. GBF Staff must be made aware of any medical conditions prior to starting the event. If any GBF staff deems a candidate is medically unfit to continue, they may be withdrawn from the event for their own safety.
- Transport. Transport to and from the event will be at candidates own arrangement.
Command and Signal
GBF HQ - 9419939432
Weight - candidate’s backpacks must weigh 20 lbs without water and food.
Numbers - Maximum number of candidates 60. Minimum number of candidates 10.
Until 1st May $115
Until 1st June $125
Until Event Day $135
Refunds - Refunds will be in the form of a GBF voucher for future events. Refunds within 30 days of an event will not be possible.