Sun, Jun 13|
Art Loeb/Cold Mountain Trailhead
20 lbs. 10 +/- miles. 7 hours.
Time & Location
Jun 13, 2021, 8:30 AM – 4:00 PM
Art Loeb/Cold Mountain Trailhead, 3647 Little East Fork Rd, Canton, NC 28716, USA
About the Event
Distance: 10 +/- miles
Event Start Time: Sun 13 Jun 21 at 0830hrs
FUP (Forming Up Point) Location: Art Loeb/Cold Mountain Trailhead, NC
Event Finish Time: No Later Than Sun 13 Jun 21 at 1600hrs
Finish Location: Art Loeb/Cold Mountain Trailhead, NC
Operation STIRLING Series
This route is Route One (1) in Operation STIRLING.
The Area of Operations (AO) for Operation SCOUT is the Pisgah National Forest in North Carolina. Comprising over 500,000 acres, the Pisgah National Forest is a land of high peaks, cascading waterfalls, heavily forested slopes, and hundreds of miles of trails.
Candidates will have 7 hours complete the 10 +/- mile course. Operation SCOUT is a test of endurance, fitness, and mental strength.
Candidates must complete the 10 +/- mile route in under 7 hours to PASS and under 5 hours to earn the GBF Op SCOUT Dog Tag.
Candidates will meet at the Forming Up Point (FUP) at the Art Loeb/Cold Mountain Trailhead prior to 0830hrs and prepare their kit. At 0830hrs, GBF Staff will give an event brief before checking candidates maps and kit. Candidates are advised to carry paper maps (waterproofed), in addition to their smartphone, for navigation. Each candidate must carry 20 lbs plus water and food.
Once GBF Staff are happy with the candidate's kit, they will be released to begin the route. GBF Staff will not release candidates who do not possess the mandatory kit list items; this is for their own safety.
Candidates should be self-sufficient for the route. There may be safety checkpoints but these will not be used to replenish water.
All candidates who sign up in advance will receive a free GBF Operation SCOUT t-shirt. Candidates finishing in under 5 hours will receive the highly sought-after 'GBF Operation SCOUT’ dog tags.
- Mapping. You can navigate this route easily from the AllTrails app on your Smartphone. GBF suggests candidates have a paper map, compass, and GPS for redundancy but this is not required. The following links will provide candidates with information on the route. To download the route from AllTrails, you will need to sign up for a membership.
GBF will NOT provide mapping for the event.
- Route. All Trails. This is the route candidates will follow.
- Dress. Candidates' dress will be a personal choice but they are reminded this is a self-supported, rural event with little provision for support. Changes of clothes should not be required on the route itself but having a spare set of clothes and shoes in your car waiting for you would be sensible. Wet weather gear is advised in case of inclement weather conditions.
This list is mandatory:
- Backpack (waterproof inner-bags)
- Phone charger
- Hydration bladder(s)
- Emergency rations (see below)
- Emergency shelter
- Personal First Aid Kit
This list is recommended:
- Replen. There will be no food or water replenishments for candidates along the route unless in an emergency situation. Candidates should carry enough food and water to last the duration of the 10 +/- miles. There will be water at the end.
- Rations. Candidates must have a minimum of 2 x chocolate bars as emergency rations. GBF suggests snickers bars and we advise taping them together so you can identify them as your emergency rations. It is the candidates' own decision if they wish to take extra food with them.
- Water. Candidates must carry a minimum of 3 litres of water and be self-sustained for the whole route. The use of hydration bladders is encouraged to enable candidates to drink water while moving. Water can be topped up from extra bottles in the backpack.
- Medical. A personal medical kit is required by every candidate. GBF Staff must be made aware of any serious medical conditions prior to starting the event. If any GBF staff deems a candidate is medically unfit to continue, they may be withdrawn from the event for their own safety.
- Transport. Transport to and from the event will be at candidates own arrangement.
Command and Signal
GBF HQ - 9419939432
Weight - candidate’s backpacks must weigh 20 lbs without water.
Numbers - Maximum number of candidates 60. Minimum number of candidates 10.
Cost - $115
Refunds - Refunds will be in the form of a GBF voucher for future events. Refunds within 30 days of an event will not be possible.
T-Shirts - Orders for t-shirts will be placed on 28 May 21. Any tickets booked after this date will NOT receive a t-shirt for this event.
Operation SCOUT$115.00Tax: +$8.05 Tax+$3.08 service fee