Sat, Sep 23|
Our Mid-Level Mount Rushmore Challenge
Time & Location
Sep 23, 7:00 AM – 8:00 PM
Mount Rushmore, Horse Thief Lake, Mount Rushmore UT, SD 57751, USA
About the Event
Distance: 13 +/- miles
Event Start Time: Saturday 23rd September 2023 at 0700hrs
Start Location: Horse Thief Lake Parking, SD
Event Finish Time: Saturday 23rd September 2023 at 2000hrs
Finish Location: Horse Thief Lake Parking, SD
Operation RUSHMORE is our intermediate event on this day and takes candidates on a 13 +/- route to the west of the Mount Rushmore National Memorial. Candidates will also summit Black Elk Peak (7,241 ft) during this epic route.
There is one easier route (Operation RUSHMORE MINI) and one harder route (Operation RUSHMORE MAX) the same day as this event.
Candidates must complete the 13 +/- mile route in under 6 hours to pass and under 4 hours to earn the GBF Operation RUSHMORE Dog Tag.
Candidates will meet at the Horse Thief Lake Parking parking area. After 0700hrs, GBF Staff will give an event brief before checking candidates' kits. Candidates are advised to carry paper maps (waterproofed), in addition to their smartphone, for navigation. Once GBF Staff are happy with the candidate's kit, they will be released to begin the route.
Candidates finishing in under 4 hours will receive the highly sought-after 'GBF Operation RUSHMORE’ dog tags.
- Mapping. You can navigate this route easily from the AllTrails app on your Smartphone. GBF suggests candidates have a paper map, compass, and GPS too. To download the route from AllTrails, you will need to sign up for a membership.
- Route. Operation RUSHMORE will be completed clockwise and includes the dog-leg up Black Elk Peak (7,241 ft).
- Dress. Candidates' dress will be a personal choice but they are reminded this is a rural event with no vehicle support. Wet weather and cold weather gear is mandatory in case of inclement weather conditions.
This list is mandatory. You will NOT be allowed to start if an item is missing. (Items linked are for guidance only)
- Backpack (waterproof inner-bags)
- Phone charger & cable
- Head Torch (spare batteries)
- Hydration bladder(s)
- Pocket knife
- Emergency rations (see below)
- Emergency shelter
- Personal First Aid Kit
This list is strongly recommended:
- Maps (waterproofed)
- Blister kit
- Cold weather hat
- Cold weather jacket
- Replen. This is a self sufficient route with NO DRINKING WATER RESUPPLY. There may be streams with the possibility to filter water. There will be water at the start and finish.
- Rations. Candidates must have a minimum of 4 x energy bars as emergency rations. It is strongly advised the candidates take extra food with them.
- Water. Candidates should carry enough water to last 15 +/- miles in case they get lost. There will also be water at the end. Candidates must start the event with a minimum of 3 litres of water or they will not be allowed to start.
- Medical. A personal medical kit is required by every candidate. GBF Staff must be made aware of any medical conditions prior to starting the event. If any GBF staff deems a candidate is medically unfit to continue, they may be withdrawn from the event for their own safety.
- Transport. Transport to and from the event will be at candidates own arrangement.
Command and Signal
GBF HQ - 9419939432
Weight - Candidate’s backpacks must weigh a minimum of 20 lbs. This does not include all the mandatory gear and water and food.
Numbers - Maximum number of candidates 40. Minimum number of candidates 10.
Cost - $95 until end of 2022
($115 from 1st January 2023)
Refunds - Refunds will be in the form of a GBF voucher for future events. Refunds within 30 days of an event will not be possible.