Time & Location
Nov 19, 2022, 7:30 AM – Nov 20, 2022, 3:00 PM
Knowlton, New Jersey, I-80, Columbia, NJ 07832, USA
About the Event
Distance: 10 +/- miles
Event Brief Start Time: Sat 19 November 22 at 0730hrs
FUP (Forming Up Point) Location: Appalachian Trail Parking, NJ
Event Finish Time: Sat 19 November 22 at 1600hrs
Finish Location: Appalachian Trail Parking, NJ
Operation RIDGEBACK is Green Beret Fitness’s Winter Mountain event. This mid-November event will bring the extra challenge of weather to the route.
Operation RIDGEBACK is a test of preparedness, fitness, and mental strength. The weather, and how well you prepare, will make or break this event for candidates.
Candidates must complete the 10+/- mile route in under 6 hours (1.7 miles per hour) to PASS and under 2 hours 45 minutes (3.6 miles per hour) to earn the GBF Operation RIDGEBACK Dog Tag.
Candidates will meet at Appalachian Trail Parking. At 0730hrs, GBF Staff will give an event brief before checking candidates maps and kit. Candidates are advised to carry paper maps (waterproofed), in addition to their smartphone, for navigation. Each candidate must carry 25 lbs plus any water and food. Once GBF Staff are happy with all the candidate's kit, they will be released to begin the route.
The first 10 candidates who sign up will receive a free GBF Operation RIDGEBACK t-shirt. Candidates finishing in under 2 hours 45 minutes will receive the highly sought-after 'GBF Operation RIDGEBACK dog tags.
- Mapping. You can navigate this route easily from the AllTrails app on your Smartphone. GBF suggests candidates have a paper map, compass, and GPS for redundancy. To download the route from AllTrails, you will need to sign up for a membership.
- Route. Operation RIDGEBACK. This is a relatively flat route after the initial ascent (1.5 miles). Between 1.5 and 6.5 miles is undulating and candidates should use this to make up time. The final 4 miles (6.5 to 10.5) is gradual downhill.
- Dress. Candidates' dress will be a personal choice but they are reminded this is a rural event with little provision for support on the trail. Wet weather gear is advised in case of inclement weather conditions.
This list is mandatory:
- Backpack (waterproof inner-bags)
- Phone charger
- Head Torch (spare batteries)
- Hydration bladder(s)
- Pocket knife
- Emergency rations (see below)
- Emergency shelter
- Personal First Aid Kit
- Orange Hi-Viz Vest (in case of hunters)
This list is recommended:
- Maps (waterproofed)
- Blister kit
- Microspikes (if there is snow / ice you will require these)
- Hiking poles (if there is snow / ice you will require these)
- Replen. There may be an emergency water replenishment for candidates at the 6-mile point (north of Sunfish Pond). This will be weather dependent. Candidates should plan on being self-sufficient for water for the whole 10 mile event. Water will be available at the finish.
- Rations. Candidates must have a minimum of 2 x chocolate bars as emergency rations. It is the candidates' own decision if they wish to take extra food with them.
- Water. Candidates must carry a minimum of 3 litres of water at the start in addition to the 25 lbs. The use of hydration bladders is encouraged.
- Medical. A personal medical kit is required by every candidate. GBF Staff must be made aware of any medical conditions prior to starting the event. If any GBF staff deems a candidate is medically unfit to continue, they may be withdrawn from the event for their own safety.
- Transport. Transport to and from the event will be at candidates own arrangement.
- Dogs. Dogs are welcome on Operation RIDGEBACK but must be well-behaved and on a leash. Candidates with dogs will still be eligible to earn GBF Dog Tags if they finish under 2:45 hours.
Command and Signal
GBF HQ - 9419939432
Weight - candidate’s backpacks must weigh 25 lbs without water and food.
Numbers - Maximum number of candidates 40. Minimum number of candidates 10.
Cost - $95 ($110 from 1st November)
Refunds - Refunds will be in the form of a GBF voucher for future events. Refunds within 30 days of an event will not be possible.
T-Shirts - Orders for t-shirts will be placed on 15 October 22. Any tickets booked after this date will NOT be eligible for a t-shirt for this event.
Operation RIDGEBACK$95.00Tax: +$6.65 Tax