Sat, Feb 25|
Lone Star Hiking Trail, Texas
Operation RED DWARF
6.5 miles. 1.5 hours. Y'all ready?
Time & Location
Feb 25, 2023, 8:30 AM – 11:30 AM
Lone Star Hiking Trail, Texas, Bethel Rd, Montgomery, TX 77356, USA
About the Event
Operation RED DWARF
"A red dwarf is the smallest and coolest kind of star."
Distance: 6.5 +/- miles
Event Brief Time: Saturday 25 February 2023 0830hrs
FUP (Forming Up Point) Location: Lone Star Hiking Trail, TX
Event Finish Time: Saturday 25 February 2023 1600hrs
Finish Location: Lone Star Hiking Trail, TX
Green Beret Fitness arrives in Texas to issue a challenge on the Lone Star Hiking Trail (LSHT), the only long-distance hiking trail in the state. At 128 miles, it’s the state’s longest continuously marked and maintained footpath.
Located in the woodlands of the Sam Houston National Forest, the LSHT is just a few hours’ drive from Austin, Dallas/Fort Worth, Houston, and San Antonio.
Candidates must race to complete the 6.5+/- mile route in under 3 hours to PASS and under 1.5 hours to earn the GBF Op LONE STAR Dog Tag.
Candidates will meet at Lone Star Hiking Trail and prepare their gear. Each candidate must carry 30 lbs plus any water and food. This will be weighed at the start and finish.
At 0830hrs, GBF Staff will give an event brief before checking the candidate's kit. Once GBF Staff are happy, candidates will be released together to begin the route.
Although navigation via AllTrails or Google Maps is simple and accurate, candidates may wish to carry paper maps, in addition to their smartphone, for safety.
Candidates finishing in under 3 hours will receive the highly sought-after 'GBF Operation LONE STAR’ dog tags.
- Mapping. You can navigate this route easily from the AllTrails app on your Smartphone. GBF suggests candidates have a paper map, compass, and GPS for redundancy. To download the route from AllTrails, you will need to sign up for a membership.
- Route. Operation RED DWARF.
- Dress. Candidates' dress will be a personal choice but they are reminded this is a rural event with little provision for support away from the main roads. Wet weather gear is advised in case of inclement weather conditions.
This list is mandatory:
- Backpack (waterproof inner-bags)
- Phone charger
- Hydration bladder(s)
- Pocket knife
- Emergency rations (see below)
- Emergency shelter
- Personal First Aid Kit
- Replen. There will be a water checkpoint at the start/finish location which is also the halfway point in this route.
- Rations. Candidates must have a minimum of 2 x high-energy bars as emergency rations. It is the candidates' own decision if they wish to take extra food with them.
- Water. Candidates are advised to carry a minimum of 3 litres of water. The use of hydration bladders is encouraged.
- Medical. A personal medical kit is required by every candidate. GBF Staff must be made aware of any medical conditions prior to starting the event.
Command and Signal
GBF HQ - 9419939432
Weight - candidate’s backpacks must weight 30 lbs without water and food.
Numbers - Maximum number of candidates 60. Minimum number of candidates 10.
Cost - $69
Refunds - Refunds will be in the form of a GBF voucher for future events. Refunds within 30 days of an event will not be possible.
Operation RED DWARF$69.00Tax: +$4.83 Tax