Sat, Aug 05|
Raccoon Creek State Park
20 miles sounds easy...
Time & Location
Aug 05, 2023, 7:30 AM – 5:00 PM
Raccoon Creek State Park, 3000 PA-18, Hookstown, PA 15050, USA
About the Event
Distance: 20 +/- miles
Event Brief Time: Saturday 5 August 23 at 0730hrs
Start Location: Heritage Trail Parking Lot, PA
Event Finish Time: No Later Than Saturday 5 August 23 at 1700hrs
Finish Location: Heritage Trail Parking Lot, PA
The Area of Operations (AO) for Operation RACCOON is the Raccoon Creek State Park near the Ohio and Pennsylvania border. Raccoon Creek State Park is one of Pennsylvania’s largest and most visited state parks. The park encompasses 7,572 acres and features the beautiful 101-acre Raccoon Lake.
Operation RACCOON is a test of endurance, navigation, fitness, and mental strength. If you’re looking for a smaller challenge, try Operation COATIS that takes place on the same day.
Candidates must complete the 20 +/- mile route in under 9 hours to PASS and under 6 hours to earn the GBF Op RACCOON Dog Tag.
Candidates will meet at the start point at the Heritage Trail Parking Lot. At 0730hrs, GBF Staff will give an event brief before checking candidates maps and kit. Candidates are advised to carry paper maps (waterproofed), in addition to their smartphone, for navigation. Each candidate must carry 25 lbs plus water and food. Once GBF Staff are happy with the candidate's kit, they will be released to begin the route.
There will be a checkpoint and water at the north end of the route, where it crosses the Hanover Kendall Road (roughly HERE).
Candidates finishing in under 6 hours will receive the highly sought-after 'GBF Operation RACCOON’ dog tags.
- Mapping. You can navigate this route easily from the AllTrails app on your Smartphone. GBF suggests candidates have a paper map, compass, and GPS for redundancy. To download the route from AllTrails, you will need to sign up for a membership.
- Route. Operation RACCOON. This is the route candidates will follow, including the branch off to the north for the checkpoint.
- Dress. Candidates' dress will be a personal choice but they are reminded this is a self-supported, rural event with little provision for support. Wet weather gear is advised in case of inclement weather conditions.
This list is mandatory:
- Backpack (waterproof inner-bags)
- Phone charger
- Head Torch (spare batteries)
- Hydration bladder(s)
- Pocket knife
- Emergency rations (see below)
- Emergency shelter
- Personal First Aid Kit
This list is recommended:
- Maps (waterproofed)
- Blister kit
- Replen. Candidates should carry enough food and water to get them to the checkpoint, and then back to the finish.
- Rations. Candidates must have a minimum of 2 x energy bars as emergency rations. It is the candidates' own decision if they wish to take extra food with them. The checkpoint will have bananas for those who want food.
- Water. Candidates must carry a minimum of 3 litres of water and be self-sustained for the whole route. The use of hydration bladders is encouraged. There will be water at the start and finish and also the checkpoint.
- Medical. A personal medical kit is required by every candidate. GBF Staff must be made aware of any medical conditions prior to starting the event. If any GBF staff deems a candidate is medically unfit to continue, they may be withdrawn from the event for their own safety.
- Transport. Transport to and from the event will be at candidates own arrangement.
Command and Signal
GBF HQ - 9419939432
Weight - candidate’s backpacks must weigh 25 lbs without water and food.
Numbers - Maximum number of candidates 40. Minimum number of candidates 10.
Until 1st May $105
Until 1st June $115
Until 1st July $125
Until Event Day $135
Refunds - Refunds will be in the form of a GBF voucher for future events. Refunds within 30 days of an event will not be possible.
Operation RACCOON$125.00Tax: +$8.75 Tax