Sat, Apr 01|
George Washington National Forest
Operation PAWS (Virginia)
Four Paws in the Great Outdoors
Time & Location
Apr 01, 8:00 AM – 3:00 PM
George Washington National Forest, Amherst, VA 24521, USA
About the Event
Operation PAWS (Virginia)
Distance: 6 +/- miles or 12 +/- miles
Event Start Time: Saturday 1st April 2023 at 0800hrs
Start Location: Mount Pleasant Trailhead, VA
Event Finish Time: Saturday 1st April 2023 at 1500hrs
Finish Location: Mount Pleasant Trailhead, VA
Operation PAWS is our Green Beret Fitness canine focused event. Dogs play an important role in the military, and at GBF we love our four-legged hiking partners so we designed an event specifically for them. You do not have to have a dog to take part in these events.
This event takes place in the George Washington National Forest and is a 6 mile loop, followed by another 6 mile loop. People are welcome to depart after the first loop if they wish, or stay for both.
Operation PAWS mission is to:
- Offer a safe and enjoyable environment for hiking with our four-legged friends.
- Collect food donations for local animal shelters.
- Let the pups earn their own GBF Doggo Tag.
Candidates and pups will meet at the Mount Pleasant Trailhead parking area. After 0800hrs, GBF Staff will give an event brief before checking candidates' kits. Once GBF Staff are happy with the candidate's kit, they will be released to begin the route.
There is no set time limit for Operation PAWS and candidates and their pups are free to go at their own pace. Please ensure you download the route. Every pup will earn their own Operation PAWS GBF Doggo Tag (maximum 3 dogs per entry).
- Mapping. You can navigate this route easily from the AllTrails app on your Smartphone. GBF suggests candidates have a paper map, compass, and GPS too. To download the route from AllTrails, you will need to sign up for a membership.
- Route. Operation PAWS (VA) is two different loops. The first loop is 6 miles and takes candidates and pups to Mount Pleasant and back to the start point. Loop two is another 6 miles to Cole Mountain. Candidates are welcome to just do one, or both.
- Dress. Candidates' dress will be a personal choice but they are reminded this is a rural event.
This list is mandatory. You will NOT be allowed to start if an item is missing. (Items linked are for guidance only)
- Backpack (waterproof inner-bags)
- Phone, charger & cable
- Water (for you and pups)
- Pocket knife
- Poop Bags (for the dogs…not you)
- Emergency rations (for you and pups)
- Personal First Aid Kit
- Replen. There is no human grade water drinking water until the start point. There may be streams for the pups.
- Rations. Candidates must have a minimum of 2 x energy bars as emergency rations. It is strongly advised the candidates take extra food with them. There will be dog treats at the start / finish.
- Water. There will be bottled water at the start / finish point. Candidates should carry enough water to last 8 +/- miles in case they get lost.
- Medical. A personal medical kit is required by every candidate. GBF Staff must be made aware of any medical conditions prior to starting the event.
- Transport. Transport to and from the event will be at candidates own arrangement.
Command and Signal
GBF HQ - 9419939432
Weight - Each candidate requires a minimum of 10 lbs of dog or cat food in their backpack, plus the other items. This food will be collected by GBF at the end and donated to a local animal shelter.
Dogs - Dogs must be well behaved and non-aggressive. Most areas require dogs to be on a leash.
GBF Pups. Peanut and Poppy may be on some of the Operation PAWS events too.
Donations. GBF will be collecting donations (food, clean bedding, toys) for local animal shelters.
Numbers - Maximum number of candidates 40. Minimum number of candidates 10.
Cost - $50 until end of 2022
($65 from 1st January 2023)
Refunds - Refunds will be in the form of a GBF voucher for future events. Refunds within 30 days of an event will not be possible.
Operation PAWS (VA)