Sat, Mar 06|
Jacksonville Beach Pier
Based on the real Operation Frankton, a commando raid on Nazi ships in the port of Bordeaux in southwest France during the Second World War.
Time & Location
Mar 06, 2021, 8:30 AM
Jacksonville Beach Pier, 503 1st St N, Jacksonville Beach, FL 32250, USA
About the Event
Distance: 10 +/- miles
Start Time: 0830hrs 6 Mar 2021
Start Location: Jacksonville Beach Pier
Finish Time: After 1400hrs 6 Mar 2021
Finish Location: Jacksonville Beach Pier
Operation Frankton was a commando raid on ships in the German occupied French port of Bordeaux in southwest France during the Second World War. The raid was carried out by a small unit of Royal Marines known as the Royal Marines Boom Patrol Detachment (RMBPD). The RMBPD would later form the Special Boat Service.
The plan was for six kayaks (called "canoes" by the British) to be taken to the area of the Gironde estuary by submarine. Twelve men would then paddle by night to Bordeaux. On arrival they would attack the docked cargo ships with limpet mines and then escape overland to Spain.
One canoe was damaged while being deployed from the submarine and it and its crew therefore could not take part in the mission. Only two of the 10 men who launched from the submarine survived the raid: Hasler, and his number two in the canoe, Bill Sparks. Of the other eight, six were executed by the Germans and two died from hypothermia.
The six canoes were named: Catfish, Crayfish, Conger, Cuttlefish, Coalfish, Cachalot
The movie The Cockleshell Heroes is loosely based on Operation FRANKTON.
Green Beret Fitness is bringing a new event to the Atlantic shores of Florida: Rowing and Rucking. Boat Crews will be assigned on the morning and your mission will be updated and briefed to you.
You are to:
- DENY the use of the ST JOHNS RIVER.
- DESTROY En shipping in vicinity of MAYPORT NAVAL STATION
In Order To DELAY the advance of the Enemy Naval Fleet.
Boat Crews will assemble at 0830hrs at Jacksonville Beach Pier. You will be met by a member of the Allied Resistance and receive a Situation Report (SitRep) and Mission Update.
A kit check will be conducted and Boat Teams and Boat Team Leaders will be assigned. You will then be taken through the functions of your canoe.
At H-Hour, boat crews will deploy north through a series of rendezvous (RV) until they reach the Final RV (FRV).
Once on target maritime mines will be deployed and any enemy shipping will be destroyed before withdrawing through a safe route back to the FRV.
Be Prepared To abandon canoes and return on foot.
NODUFF Explanation: You’re going to be carrying your Concept 2 rowing machines up Jacksonville Beach in teams. You’ll stop every so often to row, learn stuff, do stuff, have fun, get wet, get warm, make memories.
- Dress. Civilian clothes only for this operation. No military insignia should be worn. Dry changes of clothes may be desired and spare socks are essential. Having a spare set of clothes and shoes in your car waiting for you would be sensible.
- Equipment. This list is a minimum and you are welcome to bring any additional mission-specific equipment.
- Backpack (with everything inside waterproofed)
- Waterproof inner-bags
- Water (3 litre minimum)
- Food (2 chocolate bars minimum)
- Pocket knife
- Shovel or entrenching tool
- Replen. There will be additional water provided for Boat Teams.
- Medical. A personal first aid kit is advised. Any serious injuries will require evacuation and will be controlled on the ground.
- Transport. Transport to and from the Start/Finish location and parking is up to the individual candidates.
Command and Signal
GBF HQ - 9419939432
- Weight. Packs must weigh 20 lbs without water or food.
- Numbers. Maximum numbers will be 36. Minimum numbers will be 10.
Cost - $85
Tickets purchased prior to 18 Feb 21 will receive an Operation FRANKTON GBF t-shirt
Refunds. Refunds will be in the form of a GBF voucher for future events. Refunds within 30 days of an event will not be possible.
+$2.27 service fee
+$2.27 service fee0