Fri, Jun 16|
Provo, UT, USA
Operation FIVE ZERO
50 miles. 19 - 24 hours.
Time & Location
Jun 16, 2023, 8:00 PM – Jun 17, 2023, 9:00 PM
Provo, UT, USA
About the Event
Operation FIVE ZERO
Distance: 50 +/- miles
Event Brief Start Time: Friday 16 June 23 at 2000hrs
FUP (Forming Up Point) Location: Big Springs Park, UT
Event Finish Time: No Later Than Saturday 17 June 23 at 2100hrs
Finish Location: Big Springs Park, UT
Operation FIVE ZERO is a test of endurance, physical fitness, and mental strength. The Area of Operations (AO) for Operation FIVE ZERO is the Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest in Utah.
Candidates must complete the 50 +/- mile route in under 24 hours to PASS and under 19 hours to earn the GBF Dog Tag.
Candidates will meet at the Start Point at the Big Springs Park, UT (LINK). At 2000hrs, GBF Staff will give an event brief before checking candidates maps and kit. Candidates are advised to carry paper maps (waterproofed), in addition to their smartphone, for navigation.
Each candidate’s backpack must weigh a minimum of 20 lbs (without water and food). Once GBF Staff are happy with the candidate's kit, they will be released to begin the route.
The route is a mix of trails and minor roads so candidates should be able to move quickly.
Candidates will have a water replen point at the 26 mile point where they can replenish their water.
Candidates finishing in under 19 hours will receive the highly sought-after 'GBF Operation FIVE ZERO’ dog tags. The first individual to complete the event in dog tag time will earn the GBF Gold Dog Tag.
IMPORTANT. Candidates who do not arrive at the 26 mile checkpoint in under 12 hours will be withdrawn.
- Mapping. You can navigate this route easily from the AllTrails app on your Smartphone. GBF suggests candidates have a paper map, compass, and GPS for redundancy. To download the route from AllTrails, you will need to sign up for a membership.
- Route. Operation FIVE ZERO. This is the route candidates will follow. A lot of the first half is on minor roads. Use this to make good time.
- Dress. Candidates' dress will be a personal choice but they are reminded this is a hard, rural event with little provision for support. Wet weather and cold weather gear is advised in case of inclement weather conditions.
This list is mandatory (some items are links for your guidance):
- Backpack (waterproof inner-bags)
- Phone charger
- Head Torch (spare batteries)
- Hydration bladder(s) (4 litres minimum)
- Pocket knife
- Emergency rations (see below)
- Reflective tape or bands for rear of ruck (when on the roads, you must use red light and / or reflective bands.
- Chem-light/cyalume x 4
- Emergency shelter
- Personal First Aid Kit
This list is recommended:
- Replen. There will be a checkpoint with water and bananas for candidates at the 26 mile point (LINK).
- Rations. Candidates must have a minimum of 4 x energy-bars as emergency rations. It is the candidates' own decision what food they take with them.
- Water. Candidates must carry a minimum of 4 litres of water and be self-sustained apart from the water replen point at 26 miles. The use of hydration bladders is encouraged.
- Medical. A personal medical kit is required by every candidate. GBF Staff must be made aware of any medical conditions prior to starting the event. If any GBF staff deems a candidate is medically unfit to continue, they may be withdrawn from the event for their own safety.
- Transport. Transport to and from the event will be at candidates own arrangement.
Command and Signal
GBF HQ - 9419939432
Weight - Candidates' backpack must weigh a minimum of 20 lbs (without water and food).
Numbers - Maximum number of candidates 30. Minimum number of candidates 10.
Until 1st May $195
Until 1st June $205
Until Event Day - $215
Refunds - Refunds will be in the form of a GBF voucher for future events. Refunds within 30 days of an event will not be possible.
Operation FIVE ZERO$205.00Tax: +$14.35 Tax