Sat, Jul 08|
Pisgah National Forest, NC
Operation DRAGONS DANCE
20 lbs. 26 +/- miles. 12 hours.
Time & Location
Jul 08, 2023, 6:30 AM
Pisgah National Forest, NC, Brevard, NC, USA
About the Event
Operation DRAGONS DANCE
Distance: 26 +/- miles
Event Brief Start Time: Sat 8 Jul 23 at 0630hrs (do not be late!)
Event Race Start time: Sat 8 Jul 23 at 0700hrs (approx).
Start Location: Parking near Art Loeb Trailhead, NC
Event Finish Time: Sat 8 Jul 22 at 2000hrs
Finish Location: Parking near Art Loeb Trailhead, NC
Operation STIRLING Series
This route is Route Five (5) in Operation STIRLING.
The Area of Operations for Operation DRAGONS DANCE is the Pisgah National Forest in North Carolina. Comprising over 500,000 acres, the Pisgah National Forest is a land of high peaks, cascading waterfalls, heavily forested slopes, and hundreds of miles of trails.
Candidates will have 12 hours to complete the 26 +/- mile course. Operation DRAGONS DANCE is a test of endurance, fitness, and mental strength.
Candidates must complete the 26 +/- mile route in under 12 hours to pass and under 10 hours to earn the GBF Op DRAGONS DANCE Dog Tag.
IMPORTANT: Candidates must be at the halfway checkpoint prior to six (6) hours if they wish to continue.
Candidates will meet at the parking area near Art Loeb Trailhead (LINK). At 0630hrs, GBF Staff will give an event brief before checking candidates' kits. Candidates are advised to carry paper maps (waterproofed), in addition to their smartphone, for navigation. Each candidate must carry 20 lbs plus water and food. Once GBF Staff are happy with the candidate's kit, they will be released to begin the route.
The first 10 candidates who sign up will receive a free GBF Operation DRAGONS DANCE t-shirt. Candidates finishing in under 10 hours will receive the highly sought-after 'GBF Operation DRAGONS DANCE’ dog tags. The first candidate to complete the course will receive a GBF Gold Dog Tag.
- Mapping. You can navigate this route easily from the AllTrails app on your Smartphone. GBF suggests candidates have a paper map, compass, and GPS. To download the route from AllTrails, you will need to sign up for a membership.
- Route. Operation DRAGONS DANCE
- Dress. Candidates' dress will be a personal choice but they are reminded this is a rural event with little provision for support. Wet weather gear is advised in case of inclement weather conditions.
This list is mandatory:
- Backpack (waterproof inner-bags)
- Phone charger
- Head Torch (spare batteries)
- Hydration bladder(s)
- Pocket knife
- Emergency rations (see below)
- Emergency shelter
- Personal First Aid Kit
This list is recommended:
- Maps (waterproofed)
- Hiking poles
- Blister kit
- Replen. There will be a checkpoint at Pink Beds Trail Loop, at approximately 13 miles, where candidates can replenish their water. Candidates must be at this checkpoint in under 6 hours in order to continue.
- Rations. Candidates must have a minimum of 2 x high energy bars (chocolate etc) as emergency rations. It is the candidates' own decision if they wish to take extra food with them.
- Water. Candidates should carry enough water to last 15 +/- miles in case they get lost. There will also be water at the end.
- Medical. A personal medical kit is required by every candidate. GBF Staff must be made aware of any medical conditions prior to starting the event. If any GBF staff deems a candidate is medically unfit to continue, they may be withdrawn from the event for their own safety.
- Transport. Transport to and from the event will be at candidates own arrangement. Please park HERE.
Command and Signal
GBF HQ - 9419939432
Weight - candidate’s backpacks must weigh 20 lbs without water and food.
Numbers - Maximum number of candidates 50. Minimum number of candidates 10.
Until 1st May $125
Until 1st July $135
Until Event Day $155
Refunds - Refunds will be in the form of a GBF voucher for future events. Refunds within 30 days of an event will not be possible.
T-Shirts - The first 10 candidates to sign up will receive a free Operation DRAGONS DANCE T-shirt.
Operation DRAGONS DANCE$135.00Tax: +$9.45 Tax