Operation DRAGONS DANCE
Time & Location
About the Event
Operation DRAGONS DANCE
Distance: 26 +/- miles
Event Start Time: Sat 16 Jul 22 at 0630hrs (Do not arrive before 0545hrs)
Start Location: Parking near Art Loeb Trailhead, NC
Event Finish Time: Sat 16 Jul 22 at 1700hrs
Finish Location: Parking near Art Loeb Trailhead, NC
Operation STIRLING Series
This route is Route Five (5) in Operation STIRLING.
The Area of Operations for Operation DRAGONS DANCE is the Pisgah National Forest in North Carolina. Comprising over 500,000 acres, the Pisgah National Forest is a land of high peaks, cascading waterfalls, heavily forested slopes, and hundreds of miles of trails.
Candidates will have 12 hours complete the 26 +/- mile course. Operation DRAGONS DANCE is a test of endurance, fitness, and mental strength.
Candidates must complete the 26 +/- mile route in under 12 hours to pass and under 10 hours to earn the GBF Op DRAGONS DANCE Dog Tag.
Candidates will meet at the parking area near Art Loeb Trailhead (LINK). At 0630hrs, GBF Staff will give an event brief before checking candidates kit. Candidates are advised to carry paper maps (waterproofed), in addition to their smartphone, for navigation. Each candidate must carry 20 lbs plus water and food. Once GBF Staff are happy with the candidate's kit, they will be released to begin the route.
All candidates who sign up in advance will receive a free GBF Operation DRAGONS DANCE t-shirt. Candidates finishing in under 10 hours will receive the highly sought-after 'GBF Operation DRAGONS DANCE’ dog tags. The first candidate to complete the course will receive a GBF Gold Dog Tag.
- Mapping. You can navigate this route easily from the AllTrails app on your Smartphone. GBF suggests candidates have a paper map, compass, and GPS. To download the route from AllTrails, you will need to sign up for a membership.
- Route. Operation DRAGONS DANCE.
- Dress. Candidates' dress will be a personal choice but they are reminded this is a rural event with little provision for support. Wet weather gear is advised in case of inclement weather conditions.
This list is mandatory:
- Backpack (waterproof inner-bags)
- Phone charger
- Head Torch (spare batteries)
- Hydration bladder(s)
- Pocket knife
- Emergency rations (see below)
- Emergency shelter
- Personal First Aid Kit
This list is recommended:
- Maps (waterproofed)
- Blister kit
- Replen. There will be a checkpoint at approximately 12 miles where candidates can replenish their water.
- Rations. Candidates must have a minimum of 2 x chocolate bars as emergency rations. It is the candidates' own decision if they wish to take extra food with them.
- Water. Candidates should carry enough water to last 15 +/- miles in case they get lost. There will also be water at the end.
- Medical. A personal medical kit is required by every candidate. GBF Staff must be made aware of any medical conditions prior to starting the event. If any GBF staff deems a candidate is medically unfit to continue, they may be withdrawn from the event for their own safety.
- Transport. Transport to and from the event will be at candidates own arrangement.
Command and Signal
GBF HQ - 9419939432
Weight - candidate’s backpacks must weigh 20 lbs without water and food.
Numbers - Maximum number of candidates 60. Minimum number of candidates 10.
Cost - $125
Refunds - Refunds will be in the form of a GBF voucher for future events. Refunds within 30 days of an event will not be possible.
T-Shirts - Orders for t-shirts will be placed on 29 Jun 22. Any tickets booked after this date will NOT receive a t-shirt for this event.
- Operation DRAGONS DANCE$125+$8.75 Tax$125+$8.75 Tax0$0