Operation DRAGONS DANCE
Time & Location
About the Event
Operation DRAGONS DANCE
Distance: 25 +/- miles
Event Start Time: Sat 17 Jul 21 at 0600hrs (Do not arrive before 5:15am)
FUP (Forming Up Point) Location: Art Loeb Trailhead, NC
Event Finish Time: No Later Than Sat 17 Jul 21 at 2200hrs
Finish Location: Art Loeb Trailhead, NC
Operation STIRLING Series
This route is Route Five (5) in Operation STIRLING.
The Area of Operations (AO) for Operation DRAGONS DANCE is the Pisgah National Forest in North Carolina. Comprising over 500,000 acres, the Pisgah National Forest is a land of high peaks, cascading waterfalls, heavily forested slopes, and hundreds of miles of trails.
Candidates will have 15 hours complete the 25 +/- mile course. Operation DRAGONS DANCE is a test of endurance, fitness, and mental strength.
Candidates must complete the 25 +/- mile route in under 15 hours to PASS and under 12 hours to earn the GBF Op DRAGONS DANCE Dog Tag.
Candidates will meet at the Forming Up Point (FUP) prior to 0600hrs and prepare their kit. At 0600hrs, GBF Staff will give an event brief before checking candidates maps and kit. All kit will be checked. Candidates are advised to carry paper maps (waterproofed), in addition to their smartphone, for navigation. Each candidate must carry 20 lbs plus water and food.
Once GBF Staff are happy with the candidate's kit, they will be released to begin the route. GBF Staff will not release candidates who do not possess the mandatory kit list items; this is for their own safety.
All candidates who sign up in advance will receive a free GBF Operation DRAGONS DANCE t-shirt. Candidates finishing in under 12 hours will receive the highly sought-after 'GBF Operation DRAGONS DANCE’ dog tags. The first candidate to complete the course will receive a GBF gold plated custom Dog Tag.
- Mapping. You can navigate this route easily from the AllTrails app on your Smartphone. GBF suggests candidates have a paper map, compass, and GPS for redundancy but this is not required. The following links will provide candidates with information on the route. To download the route from AllTrails, you will need to sign up for a membership.
GBF will NOT provide mapping for the event.
- Route. All Trails route for Operation DRAGONS DANCE.
- Dress. Candidates' dress will be a personal choice but they are reminded this is a semi-supported, rural event with little provision for support. Changes of clothes should not be required on the route itself but having a spare set of clothes and shoes in your car waiting for you would be sensible. Wet weather gear is advised in case of inclement weather conditions.
This list is mandatory:
- Backpack (waterproof inner-bags)
- Phone charger
- Head Torch (spare batteries)
- Hydration bladder(s)
- Emergency rations (see below)
- Emergency shelter
- Personal First Aid Kit
This list is recommended:
- Replen. There will be a checkpoint (manned or unmanned TBC) at approximately 12 miles (halfway) where candidates can replenish their water. The checkpoint is roughly marked here on Google maps. On the day, it will be market with a GBF flag.
Candidates should carry enough water to last 15 +/- miles in case they get lost. There will also be water at the end. Food will not be supplied at the checkpoint.
- Rations. Candidates must have a minimum of 2 x chocolate bars as emergency rations. GBF suggests snickers bars and we advise taping them together so you can identify them as your emergency rations.
- Water. Candidates must carry a minimum of 4 litres of water and be self-sustained for the initial 12+ miles. The use of hydration bladders is encouraged to enable candidates to drink water while moving. Water can be topped up from extra bottles in the backpack.
- Medical. A personal medical kit is required by every candidate. GBF Staff must be made aware of any serious medical conditions prior to starting the event. If any GBF staff deems a candidate is medically unfit to continue, they may be withdrawn from the event for their own safety.
- Transport. Transport to and from the event will be at candidates own arrangement.
Command and Signal
GBF HQ - 9419939432
Weight - candidate’s backpacks must weigh 20 lbs without water.
Numbers - Maximum number of candidates 60. Minimum number of candidates 10.
Cost - $129
Refunds - Refunds will be in the form of a GBF voucher for future events. Refunds within 30 days of an event will not be possible.
T-Shirts - Orders for t-shirts will be placed on 2 Jul 21. Any tickets booked after this date will NOT receive a t-shirt for this event.
- Operation DRAGONS DANCE$129+$9.03 Tax+$3.45 Service fee$129+$9.03 Tax+$3.45 Service fee0$0