Time & Location
About the Event
Distance: 12 +/- miles
Event Start Time: Sat 21 May 22 at 0830hrs
FUP (Forming Up Point) Location: Coon Tree Picnic Area, NC
Event Finish Time: No Later Than Sat 21 May 22 at 1500hrs
Finish Location: Coon Tree Picnic Area, NC
Operation STIRLING Series
This route is Route Three (3) in Operation STIRLING.
The Area of Operations (AO) for Operation BUCKWHEAT is the Pisgah National Forest in North Carolina. Comprising over 500,000 acres, the Pisgah National Forest is a land of high peaks, cascading waterfalls, heavily forested slopes, and hundreds of miles of trails.
Candidates will have 6 hours complete the 12+/- mile course. Operation BUCKWHEAT is a test of endurance, fitness, and mental strength.
Candidates must complete the 12+/- mile route in under 6 hours to PASS and under 4.5 hours to earn the GBF Op BUCKWHEAT Dog Tag.
Candidates will meet at Coon Tree Picnic Area. At 0830hrs, GBF Staff will give an event brief before checking candidates maps and kit. Candidates are advised to carry paper maps (waterproofed), in addition to their smartphone, for navigation. Each candidate must carry 20 lbs plus water and food. Once GBF Staff are happy with the candidate's kit, they will be released to begin the route.
Candidates should be self-sufficient for the entire route.
All candidates who sign up in advance will receive a free GBF Operation BUCKWHEAT t-shirt. Candidates finishing in under 4.5 hours will receive the highly sought-after 'GBF Operation BUCKWHEAT’ dog tags.
- Mapping. You can navigate this route easily from the AllTrails app on your Smartphone. GBF suggests candidates have a paper map, compass, and GPS for redundancy. To download the route from AllTrails, you will need to sign up for a membership.
- Route. Operation BUCKWHEAT.
- Dress. Candidates' dress will be a personal choice but they are reminded this is a self-supported, rural event with little provision for support. Wet weather gear is advised in case of inclement weather conditions.
This list is mandatory:
- Backpack (waterproof inner-bags)
- Phone charger
- Head Torch (spare batteries)
- Hydration bladder(s)
- Pocket knife
- Emergency rations (see below)
- Emergency shelter
- Personal First Aid Kit
This list is recommended:
- Maps (waterproofed)
- Blister kit
- Replen. There will be no food or water replenishments for candidates along the route. Candidates should carry enough food and water to last the duration of the 12 +/- miles.
- Rations. Candidates must have a minimum of 2 x chocolate bars as emergency rations. It is the candidates' own decision if they wish to take extra food with them.
- Water. Candidates must carry a minimum of 3 litres of water and be self-sustained for the whole route. The use of hydration bladders is encouraged.
- Medical. A personal medical kit is required by every candidate. GBF Staff must be made aware of any medical conditions prior to starting the event. If any GBF staff deems a candidate is medically unfit to continue, they may be withdrawn from the event for their own safety.
- Transport. Transport to and from the event will be at candidates own arrangement
Command and Signal
GBF HQ - 9419939432
Weight - candidate’s backpacks must weigh 20 lbs without water and food.
Numbers - Maximum number of candidates 60. Minimum number of candidates 10.
Cost - $115
Refunds - Refunds will be in the form of a GBF voucher for future events. Refunds within 30 days of an event will not be possible.
T-Shirts - Orders for t-shirts will be placed on 4 May 22. Any tickets booked after this date will NOT receive a t-shirt for this event.
- Operation BUCKWHEAT$115+$8.05 Tax$115+$8.05 Tax0$0