Operation BLACK BEAR
Time & Location
About the Event
Operation BLACK BEAR
Distance: 16 +/- miles
Event Start Time: Sat 21 May 22 at 0800hrs (Please do not arrive before 0730hrs)
FUP (Forming Up Point) Location: Sycamore Canyon Car Park, CA
Event Finish Time: No Later Than Sat 11 Jun 22 at 1700hrs
Finish Location: Sycamore Canyon Car Park, CA
The Area of Operations (AO) for Operation BLACK BEAR is the Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area in California. The Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area is the largest urban national park in the United States and the largest urban national park in the world.
Operation BLACK BEAR is a test of endurance, navigation, fitness, and mental strength.
Candidates must complete the 16 +/- mile route in under 7 hours to PASS and under 4.5 hours to earn the GBF Op BLACK BEAR Dog Tag.
Candidates will meet at the Forming Up Point (FUP) at the Sycamore Canyon Car Park. At 0800hrs, GBF Staff will give an event brief before checking candidates maps and kit. Candidates are advised to carry paper maps (waterproofed), in addition to their smartphone, for navigation. Each candidate must carry 25 lbs plus water and food. Once GBF Staff are happy with the candidate's kit, they will be released to begin the route.
Candidates should be self-sufficient for the entire route.
The first 20 candidates who sign up will receive a free GBF Operation BLACK BEAR t-shirt. Candidates finishing in under 4.5 hours will receive the highly sought-after 'GBF Operation BLACK BEAR’ dog tags.
- Mapping. You can navigate this route easily from the AllTrails app on your Smartphone. GBF suggests candidates have a paper map, compass, and GPS for redundancy. To download the route from AllTrails, you will need to sign up for a membership.
- Route. Operation BLACK BEAR. This is the route candidates will follow, including the summit at Sandstone Peak (3110 ft). The final 3 +/- miles of the route is on dirt-road and candidates should use this opportunity to make up time.
- Dress. Candidates' dress will be a personal choice but they are reminded this is a self-supported, rural event with little provision for support. Wet weather gear is advised in case of inclement weather conditions.
This list is mandatory:
- Backpack (waterproof inner-bags)
- Phone charger
- Head Torch (spare batteries)
- Hydration bladder(s)
- Pocket knife
- Emergency rations (see below)
- Emergency shelter
- Personal First Aid Kit
This list is recommended:
- Maps (waterproofed)
- Blister kit
- Replen. Candidates should carry enough food and water to last the duration of the 16 +/- mile route. There will be an emergency water replenishment for candidates at the 13 mile point (LINK).
- Rations. Candidates must have a minimum of 2 x chocolate bars as emergency rations. It is the candidates' own decision if they wish to take extra food with them.
- Water. Candidates must carry a minimum of 3 litres of water and be self-sustained for the whole route. The use of hydration bladders is encouraged.
- Medical. A personal medical kit is required by every candidate. GBF Staff must be made aware of any medical conditions prior to starting the event. If any GBF staff deems a candidate is medically unfit to continue, they may be withdrawn from the event for their own safety.
- Transport. Transport to and from the event will be at candidates own arrangement.
Command and Signal
GBF HQ - 9419939432
Weight - candidate’s backpacks must weigh 25 lbs without water and food.
Numbers - Maximum number of candidates 40. Minimum number of candidates 10.
Cost - $115
Refunds - Refunds will be in the form of a GBF voucher for future events. Refunds within 30 days of an event will not be possible.
T-Shirts - Orders for t-shirts will be placed on 29 April 22. Any tickets booked after this date will NOT be eligible for a t-shirt for this event.
- Operation BLACK BEAR$115+$8.05 Tax$115+$8.05 Tax0$0