Sat, Aug 29|
Siesta Beach Main Car Park
GBF 004: Operation SIESTA
Siesta Key: Sand, Sun, and Secret Agents. This challenge is about working smarter, not harder, and a desire to win at all costs.
Time & Location
Aug 29, 2020, 8:00 AM
Siesta Beach Main Car Park, Siesta Beach, Florida 34242, USA
About the Event
Operation SIESTA is unlike anything you have done before. This epic challenge will take you all over Siesta Key and America's Number One Beach, but you won't have time to stop and enjoy the views.
Minimum Distance 10 miles
Teamwork, reconnaissance, surveillance, espionage, and navigation: by the end of this challenge you will be a master of all.
Teams will have to use their intelligence, charm, and cunning to gain information from undercover Agents spread throughout Siesta Key. Some Agents may give you information freely, others may require a bribe. Some locations may have physical intelligence that you need to recover back to base.
This point-to-point Team Navigation Event will be completed on Siesta Key, Sarasota on Saturday 29 August starting at 0800AM. As with GBF 003, your Team Leader will be issued a list of checkpoints in the morning and your team must plan the best route before setting off to complete the course. Checkpoints (CP) will include shops, bars, famous landmarks, and maybe a few Baywatch moments along the way.
Unlike GBF 003, this event will be about gaining intelligence from locations, people, or objects. Some intelligence may be words or phrases, others may be clues for shortcuts. Some intelligence will be pinned to objects, but some you may have to complete a challenge to obtain.
IMPORTANT: You are free (and encouraged!) to engage in subterfuge and espionage with other teams. If you pass another team on the way to a distant checkpoint, you may wish to save yourself a 2-mile round-trip and take 5lbs of their weight in exchange for the intelligence they have. Or, can you trade any intelligence from checkpoints you have already completed and they have not? But, do you trust that team? Teams can give false information and sabotage other teams, therefore putting themselves in a stronger position to win.
You also may be able to bribe the Secret Agents spread around Siesta Key to feed a deception plan to other specific teams. Say for example, you think a particular team is strong competition, you can attempt to bribe Agent X with a drink or Rolex to feed misinformation. But, beware, if you push too hard, they may turn on you and require a penalty before you are free to leave.
This event will be unlike anything you have ever experienced. Oh, and just to add to the confusion, Green Beret Fitness may be inserting some Undercover Agents into some of your teams. They will be getting FREE entry into GBF 005 in order to provide us with intelligence on your own team, and cause chaos. Who can you really trust?
If all this seems too much - just treat it like a normal ruck and ignore everyone else and focus on your own team.
The start location is the large main Siesta Beach car park on Beach Road and the finish location is Daiquiri Deck in Siesta Village (TBC due to COVID 19).
This event is about planning an efficient route, working together, and working smarter than other teams.
1. Teams must be a minimum of 2 and maximum of 8.
2. Each team member must start with 20 lbs in their ruck but this can be distributed through the team with stronger members taking more weight. The total team weight must be 20 lbs x the number of team members.
3. At each CP the Team Leader must post a selfie of the whole team to their Instagram page (not story) tagging @GreenBeretFitness and the #ToughStrongFit. This will be the method for Staff to track the teams progress. The CP information given on the morning of the event will have further details.
4. Traffic Laws and Local Laws must be obeyed. Roads will not be closed to traffic.
5. No private or public transport is allowed to complete the course. Disqualification of the whole team will be the outcome of anyone found cheating.
6. Alcoholic beverages are allowed to be responsibly consumed, according to local laws, during the course. Maintain hydration properly with water.
7. No information / intelligence is to be removed from any checkpoint by any teams. This will result in disqualification.
Kit must be shown by every member to staff at the start. This kit should be fully waterproofed:
- 1 gallon of water (this can be split between several smaller bottles or a hydration bladder)
- Sun hat
- Spare clothes
- Fully Charged mobile phone
- A favorite toy
- A non-disposable spoon
Ruck Pack and Weight. You must supply your own ruck pack and weight for the event. Look in our Information page for ideas how to add weight to your Ruck. GBF will not supply weight or rucks on the day.
Parking. Parking at the start location (Large Siesta Beach Car Park) is free and you will be directed where to park on the morning of the event.
Weather. This event will be conducted in all weather conditions unless it is deemed unsafe by the event organisers.
Refund Policy. Refunds will be considered on an individual basis.
GBF T-Shirt. Free t-shirts will be issued to everyone who registers before 14th August.
Pricing. Tickets will be
15 July - 31 Jul = $55
1 Aug - 14 Aug = $60
15 Aug - 28 Aug = $69 and no t-shirt
Siesta Key: Sand, Sun, and Secret Agents.$69.00+$1.73 service fee