Sat, Jul 29|
Operation IRON PEAK
You'll need an iron will to summit Iron Peak in time for dog tags
Time & Location
Jul 29, 2023, 6:00 AM – 6:00 PM EDT
Washington, Cle Elum, WA 98922, USA
About the Event
Operation IRON PEAK
Distance: 13 +/- miles
Event Start Time: Saturday 29th July 2023 at 0600hrs
Start Location: Esmeralda Trailhead, WA
Event Finish Time: Saturday 29th July 2023 at 2000hrs
Finish Location: Esmeralda Trailhead, WA
Operation IRON PEAK takes you to the summit of Iron Peak (6444ft) in the Cascade Range of Washington in a circular loop. If this sounds too easy, Operation IRON PEAK MAX is on the same day. There is one easier route the same day as this event: Operation IRON PEAK MINI.
Candidates must complete the 13 +/- mile route in under 9 hours to pass and under 6 hours to earn the GBF Operation IRON PEAK Dog Tag.
Candidates will meet at the Esmeralda Trailhead parking area. After 0600hrs, GBF Staff will give an event brief before checking candidates' kits. Candidates are advised to carry paper maps (waterproofed), in addition to their smartphone, for navigation. Once GBF Staff are happy with the candidate's kit, they will be released to begin the route.
Candidates finishing in under 6 hours will receive the highly sought-after 'GBF Operation IRON PEAK’ dog tags.
- Mapping. You can navigate this route easily from the AllTrails app on your Smartphone. GBF suggests candidates have a paper map, compass, and GPS too. To download the route from AllTrails, you will need to sign up for a membership.
- Route. Operation IRON PEAK
- Dress. Candidates' dress will be a personal choice but they are reminded this is a rural event with no vehicle support. Wet weather and cold weather gear is mandatory in case of inclement weather conditions.
This list is mandatory. You will NOT be allowed to start if an item is missing. (Items linked are for guidance only)
- Backpack (waterproof inner-bags)
- Phone charger
- Head Torch (spare batteries)
- Hydration bladder(s)
- Pocket knife
- Emergency rations (see below)
- Emergency shelter
- Personal First Aid Kit
- Gloves (for hands on rock)
- Cold weather hat
- Cold weather jacket
This list is strongly recommended:
- Maps (waterproofed)
- Climbing Helmet
- Blister kit
- LifeStraw water filter (there is no water refill point but there are streams and rivers)
- Replen. This is a self sufficient route with NO DRINKING WATER RESUPPLY. There may be streams with the possibility to filter water.
- Rations. Candidates must have a minimum of 4 x energy bars as emergency rations. It is strongly advised the candidates take extra food with them.
- Water. Candidates should carry enough water to last 15 +/- miles in case they get lost. There will also be water at the end. Candidates must start the event with a minimum of 3 litres of water or they will not be allowed to start.
- Medical. A personal medical kit is required by every candidate. GBF Staff must be made aware of any medical conditions prior to starting the event. If any GBF staff deems a candidate is medically unfit to continue, they may be withdrawn from the event for their own safety.
- Transport. Transport to and from the event will be at candidates own arrangement.
Command and Signal
GBF HQ - 9419939432
Weight - Candidate’s backpacks must weigh a minimum of 20 lbs NOT INCLUDING their water and food.
Numbers - Maximum number of candidates 40. Minimum number of candidates 10.
Until 1st May $105
Until 1st June $115
Until 1st July $125
Until Event Day $135
Refunds - Refunds will be in the form of a GBF voucher for future events. Refunds within 30 days of an event will not be possible.
Operation IRON PEAK$115.00Tax: +$8.05 Tax