Time & Location
Nov 18, 2023, 7:00 AM – 4:00 PM
San Diego, San Diego Mountains
About the Event
Operation DARK HORSE
Distance: 9 +/- miles
Event Start Time: Saturday 18th November 2023 at 0700hrs
Start Location: Kwaay Paay Peak Trailhead, CA
Event Finish Time: Saturday 18th November 2023 at 1600hrs
Finish Location: Kwaay Paay Peak Trailhead, CA
Operation DARK HORSE is Green Beret Fitness partnering with the leader in online rowing and fitness training. Dark Horse Rowing is located in San Diego and will be at the event.
This event combines hiking, rowing and teamwork. It should be on your schedule if you seek new adventures and tough challenges.
Candidates must complete the 9 +/- mile route, plus three sets of a 10,000m row, in under 8 hours to pass and under 6.5 hours to earn the GBF Operation DARK HORSE Dog Tag.
Candidates will meet at the Kwaay Paay Peak Trailhead parking area. After 0700hrs, GBF Staff will give an event brief before checking candidates' kits. Candidates are advised to carry paper maps (waterproofed), in addition to their smartphone, for navigation. Once GBF Staff are happy with the candidate's kit, they will be released to begin the route.
Candidates will pick up a Concept 2 rowing machine as a pair and carry it approximately 1.5 miles to checkpoint A, at the summit of the first hill. The pair then row 10,000m between them. Once complete, candidates pick up the rowing machine and take it to checkpoint B and complete another 10,000m row. The pair do the same at checkpoint C.
Once the third 10,000m has been completed at checkpoint C, the pairs make their way back to the start as quickly as possible.
Candidates finishing in under 6.5 hours will receive the highly sought-after 'GBF Operation DARK HORSE’ dog tags.
- Mapping. You can navigate this route easily from the AllTrails app on your Smartphone. GBF suggests candidates have a paper map, compass, and GPS too. To download the route from AllTrails, you will need to sign up for a membership.
- Route. Operation DARK HORSE
- Dress. Candidates' dress will be a personal choice but they are reminded this is a rural event with no vehicle support.
This list is mandatory. You will NOT be allowed to start if an item is missing. (Items linked are for guidance only)
- Backpack (waterproof inner-bags)
- Phone charger
- Hydration bladder(s)
- Pocket knife
- Emergency rations (see below)
- Emergency shelter
- Personal First Aid Kit
- Replen. This is a self sufficient route with NO DRINKING WATER RESUPPLY. There will be water and bananas at the start / finish.
- Rations. Candidates must have a minimum of 2 x energy bars as emergency rations. It is strongly advised the candidates take extra food with them.
- Water. Candidates should carry enough water to last 10 +/- miles in case they get lost. There will also be water at the end. Candidates must start the event with a minimum of 3 litres of water or they will not be allowed to start.
- Medical. A personal medical kit is required by every candidate. GBF Staff must be made aware of any medical conditions prior to starting the event. If any GBF staff deems a candidate is medically unfit to continue, they may be withdrawn from the event for their own safety.
- Transport. Transport to and from the event will be at candidates own arrangement.
Command and Signal
GBF HQ - 9419939432
Weight - Candidate’s do not have a weight requirement for this event. The difficulty is carrying the C2 rower, and rowing.
Numbers - Maximum number of candidates 26. Minimum number of candidates 10.
Until 1st May $115
Until 1st June $125
Until 1st July $135
Until 1st August $145
Until Event Day $155
Refunds - Refunds will be in the form of a GBF voucher for future events. Refunds within 30 days of an event will not be possible.
Operation DARK HORSE$135.00Tax: +$9.45 Tax