Sat, Sep 17|
Staunton State Park, Colorado
Staunton State Park is your Granite Playground. 11 miles and lots of smiles.
Time & Location
Sep 17, 2022, 7:30 AM – 3:00 PM
Staunton State Park, Colorado, Staunton State Park, Pine Junction Area, CO 80433, USA
About the Event
Distance: 11 +/- miles
Event Start Time: Sat 17 September 22 at 0800hrs (Please do not arrive before 0730hrs)
FUP (Forming Up Point) Location: Staunton State Park - Upper Parking Lot, CO
Event Finish Time: Sat 17 September 22 at 1500hrs
Finish Location: Staunton State Park - Upper Parking Lot, CO
Operation STAUNTON is Green Beret Fitness’s inaugural event in a US State Park. The beauty and amenities of Staunton State park, combined with its close proximity to Denver, made it the obvious choice for this event. The 3,908-acre park, which opened in May 2013, includes dramatic rock outcroppings, several streams and a waterfall.
Operation STAUNTON is a test of endurance, fitness, and mental strength.
Candidates must complete the 11+/- mile route in under 6 hours (1.8 miles per hour) to PASS and under 3 hours (3.6 miles per hour) to earn the GBF Operation STAUNTON Dog Tag.
Candidates will meet at Staunton State Park - Upper Parking Lot. At 0800hrs, GBF Staff will give an event brief before checking candidates maps and kit. Candidates are advised to carry paper maps (waterproofed), in addition to their smartphone, for navigation. Each candidate must carry 25 lbs plus any water and food. Once GBF Staff are happy with all the candidate's kit, they will be released to begin the route.
Candidates may be able to get water at the 5-mile point but this is to be confirmed.
The first 10 candidates who sign up will receive a free GBF Operation STAUNTON t-shirt. Candidates finishing in under 3 hours will receive the highly sought-after 'GBF Operation STAUNTON dog tags.
- Mapping. You can navigate this route easily from the AllTrails app on your Smartphone. GBF suggests candidates have a paper map, compass, and GPS for redundancy. To download the route from AllTrails, you will need to sign up for a membership.
- Route. Operation STAUNTON
- Dress. Candidates' dress will be a personal choice but they are reminded this is a rural event with little provision for support on the trail. Wet weather gear is advised in case of inclement weather conditions.
This list is mandatory:
- Backpack (waterproof inner-bags)
- Phone charger
- Head Torch (spare batteries)
- Hydration bladder(s)
- Pocket knife
- Emergency rations (see below)
- Emergency shelter
- Personal First Aid Kit
This list is recommended:
- Maps (waterproofed)
- Blister kit
- Replen. There may be a water replenishment for candidates at the 5-mile point. Bananas and water will be available at the finish.
- Rations. Candidates must have a minimum of 2 x chocolate bars as emergency rations. It is the candidates' own decision if they wish to take extra food with them.
- Water. Candidates must carry a minimum of 3 litres of water at the start in addition to the 25 lbs. The use of hydration bladders is encouraged.
- Medical. A personal medical kit is required by every candidate. GBF Staff must be made aware of any medical conditions prior to starting the event. If any GBF staff deems a candidate is medically unfit to continue, they may be withdrawn from the event for their own safety.
- Transport. Transport to and from the event will be at candidates own arrangement.
- Park Details. Staunton State Park has a website HERE. You can find details about the many things to do on this webpage. Entry for a vehicle is $10 and you can come and go as many times as you want on that day.
- Dogs. Dogs are welcome on Operation STAUNTON but must be well-behaved and on a leash. Candidates with dogs will still be eligible to earn GBF Dog Tags if they finish under 3 hours.
Command and Signal
GBF HQ - 9419939432
Weight - candidate’s backpacks must weigh 25 lbs without water and food.
Numbers - Maximum number of candidates 40. Minimum number of candidates 10.
Cost - $85 (plus Park Entry fee payable on the day)
Refunds - Refunds will be in the form of a GBF voucher for future events. Refunds within 30 days of an event will not be possible.
T-Shirts - Orders for t-shirts will be placed on 26 August 22. Any tickets booked after this date will NOT be eligible for a t-shirt for this event.